Monday, October 29, 2012

For the Love of Fun

A friend recently asked me what I do for fun.  My answer??  Sadly, it was something along the lines of "I don't know" or "I don't really have time for fun".  It really got to me.  I knew I had to change things up.  As I pondered the topic for a few days (obsessively almost), I realized that I do have fun.  Quite often actually.  Below are some of the things I do that bring me joy.  Granted, these are things I do often as part of my everyday routine.  I don't typically play paintball or partake in electronic gaming, so others may not find these things fun... but I guess that's not really important to whether or not I should enjoy them...

One day, I will have this body :)
I recently just started to learn the art of stick fighting… that’s not the technical term for it I’m sure, but that’s what I call it, lol!  It’s pretty much amazing.  I get to take out my frustrations on some sticks that can’t feel any pain.  It also gets me moving (which let’s face facts, I don’t do very much outside of walking and lifting my son).  I have gotten to meet some cool new people and am learning how to defend myself should anyone ever come at me with a stick or sword perhaps lol!
I get great joy from learning about medicine.  Not so much anatomy and physiology, but diseases and treatments.  I am pretty much addicted to such shows as Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice and House.  It’s funny really because watching these shows has given me a slight advantage in some aspects of my Anatomy & Physiology class. 

I like to read the Bible.  When I’m feeling particularly sad or upset and just not sure what to do or where to turn, I open up my Bible.  Often times I will utilize my mom’s concordance (which I didn’t even know she had until a week or 2 ago) and have access to a plethora of scripture to read and interpret via other scripture.  And while on this topic, it’s always a great time when I can share the Word with those who don’t share my faith or who are so caught up in their troubles that they don’t stop to think about the bigger picture.
 I google a lot.  As well as pinterest.  Who knew those words could be used as verbs?? Lol!  Seriously though, I could spend hours on end just googling and pinteresting.  Funny is my go-to category.  Who doesn’t love to laugh right?  I also spend a lot of time searching for ways to be a better parent for my son.  Every so often I’ll get really wild and attempt to diagnose whatever symptoms I’m having.  Thanks to my medical background, this is easier for me than it is for others.
 
 
I look forward to talking with friends, mainly intelligent conversations.  Now that’s not to say I don’t like talking about nothing from time to time, but I get more enjoyment out of broadening my perspective and/or knowledge on a subject.  When I feel very passionate about a certain topic, I love backing up my position with actual knowledge and facts instead of relying solely on opinions.
I love to eat.  I don’t usually overeat (but sometimes I do and then feel awful, lol) but I do love food.  I can’t cook to save my life, but if I’m given a recipe I can create just about anything.  I have (on several occasions) made my own frosting for cupcakes and even made avocado ice cream this past summer.  My next goal is brownie cookie dough sandwiches, followed by mango ice cream soon after.  And I can make some pretty legit noodles.  And this just gave me an idea for my next post.

So until then, have fun in whatever you do.  Always look for the light at the end of the tunnel and find the fruit loop in a bowl of cheerios.  Make lemonade out of lemons.  Whatever phrase comes to mind, always enjoy life.   Don’t fret the small stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment