Sunday, October 21, 2012

For the Love....

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about relationships and God and the love we all want to experience with another person.  Over the course of the past few days especially, I have come across so much information that I just can’t keep to myself.  The first part of this blog deals with God’s love for us.  In the second, I discuss the love that so many people are trying to find (but are failing miserably for obvious reasons) and share how to know that love when it does happen.

First and foremost, we are each loved by the Lord, our God.  John 3:16 tells us straight up “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in his shall not perish, but have everlasting life.”   As a mom, I can tell you that giving your child (let alone your ONLY child) to die for the good of others is love in its most pure and magnificent definition.  As humans—being of flesh, bone and blood—we are sinners.  We are evil doers and should be considered the scum of the earth.  The dirt on the bottom of an old sneaker. We are selfish creatures of habit.  We are greedy and care not how our actions affect those around us.
But when Jesus Christ, Son of God, was crucified, we were allowed to live.  “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23).  It’s astounding!  God loves us SO much that he gave his Son to die for our sins.  I just can’t get over how amazing that love is.  And what do we do to repay Him?  We continue to fulfill our worldly desires—those of the flesh.  And it’s pointless to do so really because when we die (and we will) we don’t take our flesh with us.  What we take when we die is our spirit.  I’ve been told by a good friend on more than one occasion that “it’s not me who does/says these things.  It is the spirit of God in me.  He is working through me.”  That’s not an exact quote but it sums it up pretty well.  If the spirit of God does indeed dwell in us, then my body is not my own—It belongs to my Father in heaven.  And I like it that way.  I prefer it that way.
But anyway, back to His love for us.  All we have to do is confess our sins and be truly genuinely sorry and act better in the future.  We have to accept Him as our Lord and Savior and all is forgiven.  And ps, Jesus doesn’t keep a record of our wrong doings.  Once we are forgiven, we are born anew.  We have a clean slate to start over and work to fulfill His desire.  So, just give up trying to run your own life and trying to be in control of yourself.  You’ll continue to suffer….
Now, onto those pesky little relationships we are all striving to find.  I’ve been through it myself.  I’ve been down that road of “Oh I just want to love and be loved” or “all I want is someone to share my life with….”  Yea, that was me at one point.  Until I realized that I’m never going to find the love I desire in another human being until I discover and appreciate the love of God!  Once I am satisfied with the love He has given me, and I am focused on Him rather than on earthly desires, I will experience that love.  And not until then.  In God’s own timing of course, because let’s face facts… my timing typically sucks anyway lol!
So let’s say we are satisfied with the love of our God.  How do we know when we have found true love?  That’s a simple one.  For that, you need only to refer to your Bible.  1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says this about love:     “Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails…”  It’s right there!  That’s all you need to know to figure out if you have found true love or not.  If your relationship does not have these qualities, it’s not love.  I’m telling you from experience, it’s better to wait around for true love than to give yourself to something less.  Any relationship worth having is one with God at its center.  That being said, if your interest is in a non-believer, it is not true love and can only lead to heartache and trouble.

I could probably go on for days about this stuff, but seeing as how I do have work and class in the morning, I will let it be for now.  I certainly hope this helps some of you out there.  Always remember, God is love.  If you don’t have God, you don’t have love.

1 comment: